Services and benefits to Canadians

Service Canada Centers serving Honoré-Mercier

Service Canada Saint-Léonard
6020 Jean-Talon Street East
Suite 500
Saint-Léonard, Québec
Hours of service: Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm

Service Canada Pointe-aux-Trembles
13313 Sherbrooke Street East
Pointe-aux-Trembles, Québec
Hours of service: Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm
Note: This center also offers the passport deposit service

Benefits for families

There are several types of benefits that can help you meet your family’s needs. These include the following ones.

Canada Child Benefit

The new Canada Child Benefit (CCB) replaces the previous system of child benefits. It is simpler, tax-free, more generous and more targeted to better support low and middle income families. You can consult the « How we calculate your CCB » page to understand how the government establishes the benefits to which families are entitled.

Goods and services tax / Harmonized sales tax (GST / HST) credit

The GST / HST credit is a tax-free quarterly payment that helps individuals and families with low or modest incomes offset all or part of the GST or HST that they pay.

All of the information on these benefits can be found in «Family benefits». It is important, however, to verify the applicable eligibility criteria.

To know when to expect to receive benefit payments, you may consult the Canada Revenue Agency at: Benefit payments.

Information on benefits and allowances

For information on benefits and allowances (Canada Child Benefit, Child Disability Benefit and GST reimbursements), contact the Canada Revenue Agency by calling: 1-800-387-1194.

Benefits for children and families overpayment

Phone: 1-888-863-8662

Benefits and services for seniors

The Old Age Security (OAS) is a Government of Canada pension program. It is a monthly payment available to seniors aged 65 and older who meet the Canadian legal status and residence requirements, such as having lived in Canada for at least 10 years from the age of 18 years old.

Since 2013, most Canadians are automatically enrolled in Old Age Security. If you do not receive a letter from Service Canada within one month of your 64th birthday, you should submit an application.

In addition to the OAS pension, there are the following other types of benefits.

Guaranteed Income Supplement

If you live in Canada and your income is low, the Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) is a non-taxable monthly benefit that can be added to your OAS pension. It should be noted that registration in the GIS is not automatic and that it is absolutely necessary to apply in writing by completing the application form.

It is also imperative to complete an income tax return each year to avoid interruption of payments because these benefits are based on family income from the previous tax year.


If you are between the ages of 60 and 64 and your spouse or common-law partner receives the OAS benefit and is eligible for the Guaranteed Income Supplement, you may be eligible for the Allowance.

Allowance for survivor

If you are a widow and aged 60 to 64, you may be eligible for the Allowance for the Survivor.

For information, you can consult the amounts of OAS, GIS, and Survivor’s Allowance and Allowance table by clicking « Amount of Old Age Security Payments ».

Phone number: 1-800-277-9915

You can create an account using the « My Service Canada Account » secure online tool to view or update information about the benefits you receive from the government (Canada Pension Plan, Old Age Security, Supplement Guaranteed income, etc.).

Resources for seniors

The « Resources for seniors »portal will allow you to find information for seniors, their families, caregivers and support agencies. It contains an array of information and links on federal, provincial and territorial benefits and services, as well as certain municipal governments.

Somes resources for workers

Social Insurance Number

In order to work in Canada, you need a nine-digit Social Insurance Number (SIN). It is also necessary to obtain access to programs and services offered by the government.

Phone number: 1-800-206-7218 (option 3)

Jobs and the workplace

On the « Jobs and the workplace » portal, you will find a wide range of information aimed at workers, job seekers, students, employers, etc. Among the most sought after themes are:

Employment Insurance and support organizations

Information on Employment Insurance benefits can be found on the Government of Canada site by clicking on the « Employment Insurance benefits » link. You will also find instructions on how to apply online or submit by-weekly reports.

On this page you will find the necessary information regarding the various Employment Insurance benefits that exist for:

  • workers;
  • parents of seriously ill or injured children;
  • illness (you must be temporarily absent for a serious illness);
  • compassion (caring for a sick family member)

Employment Insurance telephone information service: 1-800-808-6352

(24 hour automated service, but an agent is available between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday).

Telephone reporting service: 1-800-431-5595

You can also create an account by using the « My Service Canada Account » secure online tool to view or update information about your employment insurance file.

Mouvement action-chômage de Montréal

Phone number: 514-271-4099

Comité chômage de Montréal

Phone number: 514-933-5915

Citizenship and immigration

On the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website, you can find all the information you need to prepare an application for sponsorship, citizenship, work permit, or humanitarian consideration.

Attention: It is important to note that for immigration applications for permanent or temporary workers, investors or business classes, private sponsorship of refugees as well as students, you must first complete the selection process by Québec before you can file an immigration application. In that perspective, all the necessary information is available on the website of the Ministère de l’immigration, de la Diversité, de l’Inclusion du Québec.

You can track your application by checking processing times on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada portal or by calling 1-888-242-2100 (automated 24 hour service, but an agent is available between 8:00 am and 4 pm from Monday to Friday).

Visitor visa

To assist a family member or friend in applying for a visitor visa or to obtain an Electronic Travel Authorization (EAV), you can consult « Visit Canada as a tourist » or refer to the «Applying for visitor visa guidelines » intended for visa or supervisa applicants.

As visitor visas application decisions are final and not subject to appeal, it is strongly suggested that the guide be read in order to meet all requirements in the preparation of the application and include all supporting documents mentioned in the invitation and intention letters of the applicant (the person who wishes to come to Canada).

For any specific questions or practical tips to help your visitor create an exemplary application, do not hesitate to contact us.

Important: Since November 2016, it is now prohibited for a Canadian resident or citizen to use a foreign travel document to enter Canada. Make sure you have a valid Canadian permanent residence card on your return trip to avoid problems with the Canada Border Services Agency.

Application for citizenship

In order to obtain Canadian citizenship, application must be made under certain conditions. The « Become a Canadian citizen» portal indicates the eligibility criteria and the procedures to follow.

Most applicants have to undergo a citizenship test. Considering the importance of this step, it is strongly suggested to consult « Prepare for the citizenship test ».

Canada Revenue Agency

Tax return and services from the CRA

We mostly think of the Canada Revenue Agency when it comes time to file our income tax returns. In that perspective, the agency’s portal offers a variety of information under « All about your tax return »to provide you with information that can answer your questions such as:

  • Do you have to file a return?
  • How to obtain the guide and forms to file an income tax return?
  • How long will it take to receive a refund?
  • How do you change a tax return?
  • How long should you keep your tax records?

My file

You can sign up for « My Account» to view your personal income tax information, track your refunds, verify your credits and benefits, view your maximum RRSP contribution, and more.

Numbers to remember

For personal tax inquiries:


For requests for arrangements and payments of debts or overpaid child and family benefits:

1-888-863-8661 or 1-888-863-8662

Some savings programs

Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP)

An RRSP is a retirement savings plan that you have established and that we have registered, to which you or your spouse or common law partner contribute. Deductible RRSP contributions can be used to reduce your tax. Any income you earn in the RRSP is usually exempt from tax as long as the funds remain in the plan. However, you generally have to pay tax when you receive payments from the plan.

Tax-Free Savings Account (TFSA)

The TFSA has been in place since 2009. It is a way for individuals who are 18 years of age or older and who hold a valid social insurance number to set money aside tax-free throughout their lifetime. Contributions to a TFSA are not deductible for income purposes. Any amounts you contribute as well as all income earned through this account (for example, investment income and capital gains) are generally tax-free, even when it is withdrawn.  Administrative or other fees in relation to TFSA and any interest or money borrowed to contribute to a TFSA are not deductible.

Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP)

An RESP is a great way to allow your children to complete post-secondary education. Once opened, an RESP gives access to the Canada Education Savings Grant. The amount of subsidy can be up to $ 500 per year, per child, until the child is 17 years old.

Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP)

A RDSP is a savings plan that is intended to help parents and others save for the long term financial security of a person who is eligible for the disability tax credit (DTC).

Traveler Information and Resources

Passport Canada

On the government portal, under Passport, you will find all the information you need to obtain a passport or a renewal, fees, processing times or any other related information.

NB: The Service Canada Center in Pointe-aux-Trembles is a center where passport applications can be submitted.

Phone: 1-800-567-6868

Travel advice and advisories

Make it a habit to check if there are any risks in the country where you intend to go. The Department of Global Affairs regularly updates the « Travel advice and advisories » section to provide useful tips for each destination.

You will also find on the portal the information regarding the required consent documents to avoid trouble if only one of the parents is travelling with the children.

In anticipation of a trip abroad, it is suggested that you consult the network of Canadian Embassies and Consulates abroad to take note of their contact information.

In an emergency, the consular emergency line is at your disposal and accepts collect calls:

Phone number: 1-613-996-8885


Support for Enterprises

Various organizations are dedicated to providing support to businesses whether it is, for example, with regard to:

  • financial assistance;
  • business development;
  • doing business with the government;
  • export support;
  • improving business performance.

Some important business support organizations

Buy and sell – for Government of Canada tenders

Business Development Bank of Canada

Chambre de commerce de l’est de Montréal

Canada Economic Development for Québec Regions

Canada Business Network – Business Services

Export Development Canada

Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada

Messages of Congratulations

You can ask for congratulatory messages or certificates from your MP, Pablo Rodriguez, to acknowledge the contributions of individuals or organizations who have made a difference through their actions for the benefit of the community.

Congratulatory messages for birthdays and weddings from the Prime Minister, the Governor General or Her Majesty the Queen may also be obtained under certain conditions.


  • 65 years and then every 5 years – message from the Prime Minister
  • 90 years and then every 5 years – message from the Governor General
  • 100 years and then every 5 years – message from Her Majesty the Queen *

* A copy of the birth certificate is required for a certificate from the Queen.

Wedding anniversaries

  • 25 years and then every 5 years – message from the Prime Minister
  • 50 years and then every 5 years – message from the Governor General
  • 60 years and then every 5 years – message from Her Majesty the Queen *

* A copy of the marriage certificate is required for a certificate from the Queen.

For more information, please contact our office by calling 514-353-5044.